A fine pair of grand walnut doors, casements and overdoors carved and gilded in the French Renaissance manner. They were originally in Park Place a Grade II listed house set in 570 acres near Henley-on-Thames in Oxfordshire. The overdoors with arched pediments, centred by a large stylised shell flanked by ornate side scrolls, rest on the carved and gilded door surrounds again with the shell features. The upper panels of the doors are very finely carved with stylised dolphins, strapwork and cartouche each centred by lion masks carved in high relief. The lower panels with arched, raised and fielded panels. The doors are held on substantial rising butt brass hinges and the reverse side of each is set with plain raised and fielded panels. The house featured in the 2009 St Trinians film when the name Headmistress was affixed to the rear of one of the doors as can be seen in the last image. French, circa 1870.
Photos before restoration and please note that the doors can be sold separately.
Provenance: The doors were commissioned in the Renaissance style by the Noble family for Park Place which was built in the French Renaissance manner in 1871 by Architect Thomas Cundy.
Notes: John Noble bought the estate in 1869 and it stayed in the family until 1947 when it was auctioned off in a number of lots. The house was bought by the Middlesex County Council and in 1965 ownership was transferred to Hillingdon Council. The house and gardens were subsequently sold twice more during which time both were carefully restored and are now once again in private ownership.
Link to: Antique Doors and Windows.
Listed Price: £19,500 ( + vat in EU zone )