An impressive large marble overmantel mirror rescued from the old Baltic Exchange in London. Carved in the Palladian manner in veined white marble with pink figuring it has a high broken pediment with scrolled brackets set above a shield emblematic of the maritime history of The Exchange. The carved egg and dart mirror frame is flanked by scrolled consoles. English, circa 1900.
Provenance: The Baltic Exchange, a membership organisation for the maritime industry, was located at 24–28 St Mary Axe, London, until that building was destroyed by a bomb in 1992, and is now located at 38 St Mary Axe. The historic building was designed by Smith and Wimble, and completed by George Trollope & Sons in 1903 and was subsequently listed as a Grade II* listed building. It was. The "Gherkin" now occupies the original site.
Link to: Antique mirrors and console tables