Antique Clocks

  • Stock: 15456

    A very fine mahogany longcase clock, with an eight day movement by John Wyld of Nottingham. The fine silver dial is centred by a painted scene of a wooded landscape and this frames a date aperture. The lunette above is adorned with not only a painted moondial, but with opposing hemispheres. The dial is framed by very fine brass cherub spandrels, and mounted with three pierced hands.
    The hood of the clock has a swan necked pediment with trompe l'oeil marquetry and a brass finial, which is echoes in the pair of fluted corinthian columns with brass capitals.

    Inside the figured case is a four pillar movement which will be fully serviced on purchase.

    Notes on the maker: John Wyld was an important and very competent maker who was born in Codnor, Derbyshire in 1710, son of another John Wyld (1678-1760) by Rebecca, sister of the notable Codnor clockmaker James Woolley (1695-1785), to whom Wyld was apprenticed. He set up at Codnor around 1732 and also rented a workshop in Chapel Bar in Nottingham from a Mr. Lupton shortly afterwards. He married in 1740 and died in 1773 leaving John, his successor at Nottingham, Joseph and three daughters.

    Link to: Antique clocks and clock garniture

    width height depth
    21 1116"
    55 cms
    96 78"
    246 cms
    10 58"
    27 cms

    Listed Price: £5,800 ( + vat in EU zone )

    More info? More info

  • Stock: 15460

    A George III 30 hour oak longcase clock with an engraved silvered dial and Roman numerals, framed by gilt spandrels to the corners. To the centre of the dial is a date aperture, and also an arched moondial with hand painted decoration. This elegant dial sits within a columned hood of an elegantly simple design. It has a 4 pillar movement. This clock will be serviced upon purchase.

    Signed: Samuel Butterworth of Rochdale.
    English, c.1770.

    width height depth
    79"
    200.6 cms
    23"
    58.4 cms

    Listed Price: £1,400 ( + vat in EU zone )

    More info? More info

  • An oak cased National Time Recorder Clock Reserved

    Stock: 15452

    A fine example of an early twentieth century time recorder in an oak case. The bevelled glass panel bears the words 'Manufactured By The National Time Recorder Co. (Patentees) London SE.' The clock face with Roman numerals is set within a carved wood frame and bears the name British Time Recorder Co. Ltd. 149 Farringdon Road, London EC. beneath which is a small metal plaque stating 'Overhauled by British Time Recorder Co. Ltd, 149 Farringdon Road, Lond EC1 Phone. Terminus 1451 and the Reg No 8129'. This TIme Recorder is in full working order.
    English, circa 1912.

    Notes: Time Recorders like this one would have been used to record the times workers came in and out of their place of work. The National Time Recorder Co. Ltd (incorporated in 1917, company number 146424, though possibly founded around 10 years earlier in 1907) was one of the two largest UK manufacturers of time recorders in the UK. The head office and factory was originally based in Blackfriars London, and moved to the Lagoon Works in St Mary Cray (Orpington) Kent in 1951, on the site of the Blue Lagoon swimming pool which had been damaged during the war. Other branches were established in London, Birmingham, Bristol, Dublin, Glasgow, Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle-upon-Tyne and Sheffield. .

    Width Height Depth
    15 78"
    40.3 cms
    47"
    119.5 cms
    11"
    28 cms
  • Stock: 14102

    A Belgium Rosso Alicante Marble and ormolu mounted antique mantel clock. The enamel face has Arabic numerals, blued steel hands, is delicately decorated with hand painted summer flowers and is inscribed "H LUPPENS & CIE BRUXELLES".
    Belgium, late 19th century.

    Notes:The famous bronze company of H Luppen and Co of Bruxelles and Paris were manufactures and retailers of clocks, bronzes, lighting and Objet d'Art in the last quarter of the 19th century.

    Link to: Antique clocks and clock garniture

    Width Height Depth
    18 1116"
    47.5 cms
    26 58"
    67.5 cms
    9 38"
    24 cms

    Listed Price: £4,500 ( + vat in EU zone )

    More info? More info

  • Stock: 14971

    A grand gilt bronze clock garniture in the Louis XVI style. The clock, with an 8 day striking movement that strikes on the half and the full hour and with it's original pendulum and key, is set in an ornate gilt bronze case mounted on a decorative base. The convex porcelain dial with cobalt blue Roman hours and black Arabic minutes, fine gilt hands, ringed lion masks and a bevelled convex glass door is topped by an ornate lidded urn with an acorn finial. The pair of tall five branch candelabra with further ringed lion masks and similar decorative bases.
    French, mid 19th century.

    Link to: Antique clocks and clock garniture

    Width Height Depth
    15 58"
    39.5 cms
    27"
    68.5 cms
    9 38"
    24 cms

    Listed Price: £14,200 ( + vat in EU zone )

    More info? More info

  • Stock: 14968

    An impressive and large late 19th century French quarter chiming gilt brass Gothic Revival bracket or mantel clock retailed by Hall & Company, Manchester. The case, with engraved floral decoration and applied coloured cabuchon jewel mounts, encloses a gilt 7" Roman dial with a finely scroll engraved centre and an eight day spring driven movement with anchor escapement chiming the quarters on a nest of two bells. The movement was made in Saint Nicolas d' Aliermont, by Pierre-Honoré-César Pons and then finished by the Parisian Clock maker, Louis Achille Brocot. French, circa 1870.

    Link to: Antique clocks and clock garniture

    width height depth
    16 78"
    43 cms
    31 12"
    80 cms
    12 316"
    31 cms
  • Stock: 14308

    A gilt bronze highly elaborate, twin train striking mantel clock garniture in the Rococo style embellished throughout with acanthus scrolls and swags, urns, acorn finials and applied leaf detail echoed on the twin five branch candelabra.

    The enamel clock face has fine cobalt blue Roman hours and black Arabic minutes with elaborate pierced
    and engraved gilt hands. Movement by Bonnard, Dijon.
    French mid 19th century.

    Link to: Antique clocks and clock garniture

    Width Height Depth
    Clock 18 18"
    46 cms
    18 14"
    46.5 cms
    4 78"
    12.5 cms
    Candelabras 10 38"
    26.5 cms
    19 1116"
    50 cms

    Listed Price: £4,200 ( + vat in EU zone )

    More info? More info

  • Stock: 13921

    A fine French Siena Marble and Ormolu striking mantel clock garniture.
    The gilt brass and enamel face with Arabic numerals & blued steel hands,
    bears the inscription "A La Renaissance, 47-49 Bo St Martin Paris".

    It is surmounted by a gilt bronze eagle wrestling a serpent with garlands
    of flowers tumbling down either side to the brass mounted plinth.
    The turned marble urns, set on square plinths, have gilt bronze handles
    linked by swags of ormolu flowers.

    This clock has its original fine quality eight day movement which
    is in good working order.
    French mid 19th Century.

    Link to: Antique clocks and clock garniture

    Width Height Depth
    Clock 21 18"
    53.5 cms
    21 14"
    54 cms
    7 78"
    20 cms
    Urns 6 12"
    16.5 cms
    10"
    25.5 cms

    Listed Price: £6,300 ( + vat in EU zone )

    More info? More info

  • Stock: 9376

    ROYAL ASCOT RACECOURSE CLOCKTOWER CHAPTER RINGS.
    One of three original massive cast iron Chapter Rings from the 19th century Clock Tower at the Ascot Racecourse. When this Tower was demolished in the 1960s the chapter rings were transferred to the new one, see black and white image below. This Tower was itself replaced in 2004 when the 'New Grandstand' was built.

    We fully restored them and on 1st August 2007 one was swung into position over the heads of 'Sophisticated South Shoreditchers' by an Italian Fossi Gru mobile crane and was set onto the steel box section cradle erected on the remnants of the wall of the 19th century tenements which once occupied the site of our present courtyard.
    It is now a working clock, is illuminated at night and has become a local landmark.
    One is now sold. The other remaining chapter ring is SNo 9377.
    English late 19th century.

    OLD ROYAL ASCOT
    During June each year it seems the whole of the horse racing world's attention is focused on Royal Ascot near Windsor Castle and on the famous race meeting that is held there and where each year there is the inevitable parade of fashion. Royal Ascot was founded by Queen Anne in the 18th century and the first meeting took place on Saturday 11th August 1711. Her Majesty’s Plate worth 100 guineas was the inaugural event and was open to any horse, mare or gelding over the age of six. Each horse was required to carry a weight of 12 stone and seven runners took part. In 1760, when George II came to the throne, the once humble Royal Ascot became the second most popular race in all of England. A Grand Stand was built and from there spectators enjoyed panoramic views of the racecourse and its surroundings. While the original wooden buildings have now been replaced it was and is the focal point of the course spanning a quarter of a mile. It's most prominent feature was the Clock Tower and it was under this Tower that Eliza Doolittle in the film "My Fair Lady" was heard to shout encouragement to her favoured steed " Dover" .

    Link to: Antique clocks and clock garniture

    Diameter
    105 78"
    269 cms

    Listed Price: £25,000 ( + vat in EU zone )

    More info? More info

  • Page 1 of 1
  • 1
9 items