Achitectural Items | Victorian | Grills and Gates | Stock No: 12486

An antique cast iron grill from Billingsgate Fish Market

Stock No.12486

BILLINGSGATE FISH MARKET, RIVERSIDE, CITY OF LONDON.
A very large and heavy cast iron arched grill depicting the arms of the City of London and the Fishmongers Livery Company, once a feature of the Lower Thames Street elevation of the Old Billingsgate Fish Market which fronts onto the River Thames between London & Tower Bridges close to The Tower of London, one of the three castings, removed during the 1960s/70s, from the central arches of the entrance to the arcade.
Designed by Sir Horace Jones in 1877 & made by Cottam & Willmore, London circa 1877.

Notes:
The first Billingsgate Market building was constructed on Lower Thames Street in 1850 by the builder John Jay, and the fish market was moved off the streets into its new riverside building. This was demolished in around 1873 and replaced by the arcaded market hall designed by City architect Horace Jones and built by John Mowlem & Co. in 1875, the building that still stands on the site today. Now used as an events venue, such as for the 2004 MTV tribute for 'The Cure', it remains a major London landmark and a notable Grade II listed building.

18000
£

Listed Price: £18,000 ( + vat in EU zone )

wide height depth
99 58"
253 cms
55 12"
141 cms
2"
5 cms

Link to: Antique Grills & Gates

You can contact us by email, phone or just by completing the enquiry form below:

Items marked with an '*' are required.

starstarstarstarstar_half
10 Reviews on google

Tel: +44 (0)207 739 8094 | Fax: +44 (0)207 729 3620 | Email: westland@westlandlondon.com 

Copyright © Westland London 1969 - 2018. Images and text all rights reserved.