Decorative Items | None | Sculpture and Carving | Stock No: 10734

A Portland Stone sculpture from the Bank of England Annexe

Stock No.10734

A massive carved Portland Stone Tableau of the reigning monarchs, William & Mary(1689-1702), granting The Bank of England Charter in 1694. Sculptor Esmond Burton (1885 – 1964).

Part of a collection of approximately 45 statues and carvings commissioned by the Bank of England to adorn it’s Annexe built in the 1950’s at One New Change in the City of London. They were removed prior to the building being demolished in 2007. This group was above the Cheapside entry to the courtyard and was flanked either side by statues of Sir John Houblon, the first Governor of the Bank and Michael Godfrey the first Deputy, please see third image below.

Notes: The building was erected to accommodate the Bank of England's Accounts Department and occupied the whole site bounded by Cheapside to the north, Watling Street to the south, Bread Street to the east, Newgate to the north west and New Change to the west. It was built on a World War II bomb site behind St Paul’s Cathedral and was sensitively designed in a graceful curve to follow the curve of the east end of Sir Christopher Wrens majestic Roman Baroque building.

English, circa 1958.

28000
£

Listed Price: POA

Width Height Depth
53 18"
135 cms
82 1116"
210 cms
27 58"
70 cms

Link to: Antique sculptures, carvings, plaques, tablets, coats of arms and panels

You can contact us by email, phone or just by completing the enquiry form below:

Items marked with an '*' are required.

starstarstarstarstar
8 Reviews on google

Tel: +44 (0)207 739 8094 | Fax: +44 (0)207 729 3620 | Email: westland@westlandlondon.com 

Copyright © Westland London 1969 - 2016. Images and text all rights reserved.