Decorative Items | None | Sculpture and Carving | Stock No: 10747

Stock No.10747

10747. BANK OF ENGLAND STAUARY COLLECTION: SIR JOHN HOUBLON, 1st GOVERNOR OF THE BANK OF ENGLAND.
One of a pair with SNo 10748 The deputy Governor.
Sculptor: Esmond Burton circa 1958-59.

Provenance: Originally one of a pair of statues (with 10748) in Portland Stone , which were part of the Group symbolising 'The Granting of the Bank of England's Charter' above the Cheapside entry to the courtyard on the One New Change building in the City of London ( with SNos 10734, 10746, 10748, 10749 ).

The building erected in the 1950s to accommodate the Bank of England's Accounts Department & demolished in 2007, occupied the whole site bounded by Cheapside to the north, Watling Street to the south, Bread Street to the east, Newgate to the north west and New Change to the west and filled a sensitive site in that it presented a backdrop to Christopher Wren's majestic Roman Baroque St Paul’s Cathedral.

28000
£
width height depth
17 78"
45.5 cms
53 78"
137 cms
24 38"
62 cms

You can contact us by email, phone or just by completing the enquiry form below:

Items marked with an '*' are required.

starstarstarstarstar
8 Reviews on google

Tel: +44 (0)207 739 8094 | Fax: +44 (0)207 729 3620 | Email: westland@westlandlondon.com 

Copyright © Westland London 1969 - 2016. Images and text all rights reserved.