THE CUPID VENDOR:
A substantial caryatid English Regency antique fireplace surround in the Greek Revival manner richly carved in white statuary marble. The wide moulded shelf above the frieze centred by a tablet carved in relief of The Cupid Vendor a possible Pompeian scene of a noblewoman with maidservant consulting an academic or mystic. The frieze is flanked by ribboned and tied flowering cornucopia. The projecting endblocks carved with delicately pierced round floral paterae supported by figures of vestal maiden on the jambs. Each of the standing figures is classically attired bearing incense burners and are raised on triple block footblocks. English circa 1805.
Notes: In the manner of Sir Richard Westmacott Jr, Sculptor, Royal Academy (1775 – 1856) and very similar to the chimneypiece in The Dining Room at 18, later 19 Grosvenor Square in Mayfair, London W1- image below. This great house was designed and built around 1728 by Edward Shepherd, the proprietor of Shepherds Market off Curzon Street also in Mayfair and was sold in 1730 to the 7th Earl of Thanet. The 8th Earl employed Robert Adam in 1765 to renovate the Georgian interior and further renovation in the Adam Revival manner was carried out in 1880 by Frederick Arthur of Motcomb Street, Belgravia.
The house was demolished in 1933 & the last owner Lady Beecham, wife of Sir Thomas Beecham the conductor, removed the Chimneypieces to Clopton House in Warwickshire.
Link to: Antique English Regency chimneypieces inc. George IV fireplace mantels.