Decorative Items | None | Sculpture and Carving | Stock No: 10773

Stock No.10773

10773. One New Change Keystones.
THE WALBROOK
Sculptor Sir Charles Wheeler. Circa 1957.

Provenance: Originally one of three keystones, representing historical London rivers, The Thames, The Fleet & The Walbrook, & part of a larger group including two statues of St George. This keystone was above the right hand bronze door of the main entrance of One New Change, part the Bank of England Annexe in the City of London.

The building erected in the 1950's to accommodate the Bank of England's Accounts Department & demolished in 2007, occupied the whole site bounded by Cheapside to the north, Watling Street to the south, Bread Street to the east, Newgate to the north west and New Change to the west and filled a sensitive site in that it presented a backdrop to Christopher Wrens majestic Roman Baroque St Paul’s Cathedral.

The Walbrook is one of Londons lost rivers flowing from Finsbery to the Thames near Cannon Street it started to disappear before the Romans left in 410AD. They built the Mithras Temple on its bank & it was one of their most important navigable waterways.

5500
£
width height depth
18 1116"
47.5 cms
35"
89 cms
20 18"
51 cms

You can contact us by email, phone or just by completing the enquiry form below:

Items marked with an '*' are required.

starstarstarstarstar_half
10 Reviews on google

Tel: +44 (0)207 739 8094 | Fax: +44 (0)207 729 3620 | Email: westland@westlandlondon.com 

Copyright © Westland London 1969 - 2018. Images and text all rights reserved.