Decorative Items | None | Sculpture and Carving | Stock No: 10766

Stock No.10766

A large Portland Stone keystone depicting the Lion as on the Scottish Shilling holding a sword and sceptre above the crown. Sculptor David Evans.

Part of a collection of approximately 45 statues and carvings commissioned by the Bank of England to adorn it’s Annexe built in the 1950’s at One New Change in the City of London. They were removed prior to the building being demolished in 2007. This was one of three keystones above the entrance on Watling Street.

Notes: The building was erected to accommodate the Bank of England's Accounts Department and occupied the whole site bounded by Cheapside to the north, Watling Street to the south, Bread Street to the east, Newgate to the north west and New Change to the west. It was built on a World War II bomb site and was sensitively designed in that it presented a backdrop to Christopher Wrens majestic Roman Baroque St Paul’s Cathedral.

English circa 1957.

3500
£

Listed Price: £3,500 ( + vat in EU zone )

width height depth
18 12"
47 cms
35"
89 cms
18 18"
46 cms

Link to: Antique sculptures, carvings, plaques, tablets, coats of arms and panels

You can contact us by email, phone or just by completing the enquiry form below:

Items marked with an '*' are required.

starstarstarstarstar
8 Reviews on google

Tel: +44 (0)207 739 8094 | Fax: +44 (0)207 729 3620 | Email: westland@westlandlondon.com 

Copyright © Westland London 1969 - 2016. Images and text all rights reserved.