Sculpture, Carvings & Other

Browse our stock of antique sculpture and carvings including a wide range of busts, stone sculpture, plaques and key stones in a range of materials like stone, wood, cast iron and terracotta.

  • Stock: 12872

    A pair of composition stone 'Medici Lions'. The originals were made in 1789 and are to be found on the steps of the Loggia dei Lanzi in Florence in Italy. Both lions in matching prowling stance with one paw raised and resting on a cannon ball. One of two pairs with SNo 12871.
    English, second half of 20th century.

    Link to: Antique sculptures, carvings, plaques, tablets, coats of arms and panels

    width height
    28"
    71 cms
    20 18"
    51 cms
  • Stock: 14431

    A rather beautiful Art Deco Statuary Marble figure of a scantily dressed young lady wearing a bejewelled costume and headdress and seated upon an alabaster plinth which has a patinated brass Phoenician Sphinx mounted to the front. The Portoro Marble base bears the inscription L. Morelli, Florence. Italian, circa 1920.

    Link to: Antique sculptures, carvings, plaques, tablets, coats of arms and panels

    width overall height depth
    14 316"
    36 cms
    24"
    61 cms
    9 18"
    23 cms
  • Stock: 12333

    A pair of small very well carved onyx lions passant very much in the Medeci tradition. Onyx is a banded variety of chalcedony of which agate is the most popular type.
    Possibly Italian early to mid twentieth century.

    Link to: Antique sculptures, carvings, plaques, tablets, coats of arms and panels

    Width Height Length
    9 1316"
    25 cms
    18 78"
    48 cms
    28 14"
    72 cms
  • Stock: 12724

    A beautifully carved alabaster group in the manner of Cesare Lapini (1848 - 1890) an Italian sculptor mainly active in 19th century Florence. A maiden, representing Flora the Roman Goddess of Flowers has a child playing at her feet and both are wearing garlands of roses and clasping flowers.
    Italian School 19th century.

    Link to: Antique sculptures, carvings, plaques, tablets, coats of arms and panels

    width height depth
    10 58"
    27 cms
    32 1116"
    83 cms
    9 1316"
    25 cms
  • Stock: 13391

    A very fine life size marble bust, mounted on a composition coadestone base, of a Greek/Roman philosopher, most probably Plato or perhaps Socrates. Originally from a property in County Durham.
    Link to: Antique sculptures, carvings, plaques, tablets, coats of arms and panels

    Width Height Depth
    11 1316"
    30 cms
    24"
    61 cms
    9 38"
    24 cms
  • Stock: 13323

    A tall and beautifully carved Carrara Marble statue of Eiar, Goddess of Springtime and one of the Goddesses of The Four Seasons. She is standing on an octagonal plinth and is holding a tumbling festoon of flowers representing the abundance of Springtime. She may have come from the gardens of an English country estate. As found before restoration. English, mid to late 19th century.

    Notes: The Four Seasons were depicted in mythology as the personification of nature in its different seasonal aspects. Theros (Summer), Phthinoporon (Autumn), and Cheimon (Winter) were the other three. They were said to guard the gates of Olympus, promoting the fertility of the earth and both presiding over and directing the stars and constellations.

    Link to: Antique sculptures, carvings, plaques, tablets, coats of arms and panels

    Width Height Depth
    18 12"
    47 cms
    65 58"
    166.5 cms
    20 12"
    52 cms
  • Stock: 13068

    ECHOS OF EMPIRE.
    An enormous and grand Gothic Revival sandstone throne made to commemorate Queen Victoria`s Golden Jubilee of 1887. The pitched gable back with raised and carved foliate mantle enclosing the VR crowned cartouche with laurel leaves and Jubilee banner terminating in mask heads flanking a broad seat and chamfered plinth base.
    Scottish late 19th century.

    Link to: Antique, old vintage fountains, sculptures, garden furniture and statuary

    Width Height Depth
    72"
    183 cms
    112 58"
    286 cms
    37"
    94 cms
  • Stock: 11480

    A well carved white Statuary marble maiden musician seated on a rock dressed in simple 18th century garb playing a guitar with her attentive, adoring tousle-haired dog lying beside her.
    French / Italian, 19th century.

    NOTES : The Latin guitar developed from the Cithara and the Oud. The Moorish Oud retained the rounded back, multiple sound holes and wide fingerboard of the oud. The Latin guitar, on the other hand, had a more narrow neck, a flat back and one sound hole. Despite having only four strings, the Latin guitar of the 11th century is clearly the predecessor of the modern guitar, which preceded the Mandolin,developed later in Italy

    Link to: Antique sculptures, carvings, plaques, tablets, coats of arms and panels

    width height depth
    33 18"
    84 cms
    40 316"
    102 cms
    22"
    56 cms
  • Stock: 5407

    A fine Regency Neoclassical marble plaque. The relief shoing Hermes, Aphrodite and Paris. (In a mahogany frame)
    Early 19th century.

    width height depth
    46 18"
    117 cms
    44 18"
    112 cms
    7 18"
    18 cms
  • Stock: 5128

    A carved walnut plaque of the of Dante by J Pfaffenbilcher, his name is painted bottom right and the name Dante is carved bottom left. Art Nouveau/Jugendstil. Circa 1920

    width depth
    12 58"
    32 cms
    24 38"
    62 cms
  • Stock: 13142

    KNOWLEDGE IS POWER: One of five Portland Stone Plaques removed from
    St Thomas' Hospital, London.
    Highly carved with acanthus leaves, a dove and a knights helmet above a large central shield depicting a hand, sheaves of corn and a printing press. At the base is the motto “Knowledge is Power” commonly attributed, in various interpretations, to Sir Francis Bacon.

    The Hospital was moved from it's 17th century site in Southwark to new buildings in Lambeth Palace Road across the River Thames from The Houses of Parliament where it was opened by Queen Victoria in 1871.
    Early 20th century. Weight: 257kg

    Link to: Antique sculptures, carvings, plaques, tablets, coats of arms and panels

    Width Height Depth
    28 18"
    71.5 cms
    33 18"
    84 cms
    11"
    28 cms
  • Stock: 13141

    One of five of Portland Stone Plaques removed from the facade of St Thomas' Hospital in London. Carved in the shape of a shield and centred by a serpent entwined round a staff representing the Rod of Asclepius, the ancient Greek symbol associated with healing and medicine.
    The Hospital was moved from it's 17th century site in Southwark to Lambeth Palace Road across the River Thames from The Houses of Parliament where it was opened by Queen Victoria in 1871.
    Early 20th century. A pair with SNo 13141.
    Weight: 276kg

    Width Height Depth
    28 18"
    71.5 cms
    33 18"
    84 cms
    11 38"
    29 cms
  • Stock: 13140

    One of five carved Portland Stone Plaques removed from the facade of St Thomas' Hospital. It is carved in the shape of a Shield and bears some of the symbols of the Hospitals Crest; a Cross, a Tudor Rose flanked by two Fleur de Lys and
    a Spear - the original also bore a Fish on the Cross and a Chough ( associated with Thomas Beckett from whom the Hospital took it's name), in the top right quadrant.

    The Hospital was moved from it's 17th century site in Southwark to new buildings in Lambeth Palace Road across the River Thames from The Houses of Parliament where it was opened by Queen Victoria in 1871.
    Early 20th century. A pair with SNo 13144.
    Weight: 276kg.

    Width Height Depth
    28 14"
    72 cms
    33 18"
    84 cms
    11"
    28 cms
  • Stock: 12789

    A carved marble figure of a girl of a girl with hand raised and head lowered leaning on a tree stump, on a circular base and associated eight sided plinth.

    Width Height Depth
    11"
    28 cms
    39 1316"
    101 cms
    11"
    28 cms
  • Stock: 12831

    A 17th century Italian near life size white statuary marble sculpture head and wings of an angel carved in the Baroque manner of BERNINI, the 17th century Italian Sculptor, with the initials CB on the back of a wing. Italian 17th century.

    Link to: Antique sculptures, carvings, plaques, tablets, coats of arms and panels

    width height deoth
    13 58"
    34.5 cms
    14 316"
    36 cms
    7 78"
    20 cms
  • Stock: 10669

    A CARVED PORTLAND STONE OVERDOOR featuring the head of Mercury on the central keystone, English, late 19th century.

    Width Height Depth
    84 58"
    215 cms
    23 58"
    60 cms
    23 58"
    60 cms
  • Stock: 12809

    BRITISH COAT OF ARMS OF THE ROYAL FAMILY, in painted aluminium. English ca 1920.

    Width Height Depth
    23 316"
    59 cms
    31 18"
    79 cms
    3 12"
    9 cms
  • Stock: 10992

    A FINELY CARVED PAIR OF WALNUT CARYATIDS IN THE BAROQUE MANNER, showing a boy and a girl symbolising Summer and Autumn, the girl with a garland of flowers symbolising Spring, the boy with vine leaves and grapes entwined with bullrushes symbolising Autumn harvest. Italian 19th century.

    width height depth
    3 78"
    10 cms
    25 58"
    65 cms
    4 14"
    11 cms
  • Stock: 12632

    An impressive richly carved Arts and Crafts oak eagle lectern standing on an ornately carved pedestal in the Neo Gothic manner. English, mid 19th century.

    Link to: Antique furniture

    width height depth
    28 14"
    72 cms
    62 316"
    158 cms
    22 1316"
    58 cms
  • Stock: 12454

    A CHARMING CARVED STONE STATUE OF A MEDIEVAL MINSTREL PLAYING A LUTE AND SINGING, accompanied by his cat: A-la- Dick Whittington! Somewhat weathered; now restored. English, 19th century.

    Link to: Antique sculptures, carvings, plaques, tablets, coats of arms and panels

    Width Height Depth
    Excluding plinth. 38 316"
    97 cms
  • Stock: 10991

    A PAIR OF COALBROOKEDALE CAST IRON GROUPS INSPIRED BY SHAKESPEARE'S " THE TEMPEST " with the figures of Miranda, Ariel and Caliban. Circa 1875.

    height
    41 1116"
    106 cms
  • Stock: 11055

    11055. A 19th Century lead garden statue of a winged putto holding a fish.

    height
    29 12"
    75 cms
  • Stock: 11846

    A very fine pair of intricately carved oak high ranking...perhaps Royal.. robed and fearsome medieval warrior figures, helmeted, heavily armed, armoured & crowned, possibly crusaders, each wearing monogramed armour, one with a fleur-de-lys on his breastplate, the other a roaring lion & each carring a shield, a sword and baton.English, 19th century. Shown with pair of wall socles, 9612. Also 19th century.

    width height depth
    Figure 1 13 1316"
    35 cms
    33 12"
    85 cms
    11 38"
    29 cms
    Figure 2 15 38"
    39 cms
    12 38"
    31.5 cms
  • Stock: 11921

    " THE ASCENT OF MAN "...A monumental elaborately carved stele representing creatures trhough the evolution of the earth's species. In ivory toned English alabaster, built in five sections and profusely carved in high and low relief depicting quite accurately primeval vegetation, sea-dwelling life forms, ammonites & nautilus. Further images showing extinct vertebrates, marine reptiles & shoals of fish. Main features being A Woolly Mammoth..originating in the Pliocene epoch 4.8 million years ago... a Pterodactyl...65 million years ago and so on... a giant Toad & Iguanadons. The tapering circular shaft with carved acanthus leaves said to represent the intervening evolutionary stages to the present represented by the upper section carved with three figural groups of man and woman standing on the capital of the column, supporting a crown. Designer : Phillp C Thicknesse, late 19th century who also designed the designed the zoology building at Liverpool University. English, Circa 1880.

    Link to: Antique sculptures, carvings, plaques, tablets, coats of arms and panels

    height approx
    115"
    292 cms
  • Stock: 11767

    A LARGE CAST IRON FIGURE OF A RECUMBENT MUSE in the Greek manner, sitting on a foliate chased rock ... signed Chatrousse, Émile François Chatrousse, French sculptor (1829-1896). Many of his works, including Joan of Arc, are displayed in Parisian Public institutions such as The Tuilleries and the Hotel de Ville.
    WEIGHT: 285kg

    Link to: Antique sculptures, carvings, plaques, tablets, coats of arms and panels

    Width height Depth
    Max. External Base. 36 58"
    93 cms
    52"
    132 cms
    34 14"
    87 cms
  • Stock: 9320

    HALF A LEAGUE, HALF A LEAGUE , HALF A LEAGUE ONWARD.........A Fine pair of high relief carved walnut plaques depicting an officer of the Light Cavalry of the Kings Own Hussars, a British 19th century regiment ...and a Bugler of the same regiment. Both are mounted on chargers, the officer with regimental symbols on the saddle cloth. England 19th century.

    TENNYSON : " Half a league, half a league, Half a league onward......... ........All in the valley of Death Rode the six hundred. "Forward, the Light Brigade! "Charge for the guns!" he said, Into the valley of Death rode the six hundred.

    "Forward, the Light Brigade!" Was there a man dismay'd? Not tho' the soldier knew someone had blunder'd: Theirs not to make reply, Theirs not to reason why, Theirs but to do and die: Into the valley of Death rode the six hundred.

    Cannon to right of them, Cannon to left of them, Cannon in front of them volley'd and thunder'd. Storm'd at with shot and shell, boldly they rode and well, into the jaws of Death, into the mouth of Hell, rode the six hundred.

    Flash'd all their sabres bare, Flash'd as they turn'd in air, Sabring the gunners there, Charging an army, while all the world wonder'd: Plunged in the battery-smoke, right thro' the line they broke, Cossack and Russian reel'd from the sabre stroke shatter'd and sunder'd. Then they rode back, but not.... Not the six hundred.

    Cannon to right of them, Cannon to left of them, Cannon behind them volley'd and thunder'd; Storm'd at with shot and shell, while horse and hero fell, they that had fought so well came thro' the jaws of Death back from the mouth of Hell, all that was left of them, ...left of six hundred. When can their glory fade? O the wild charge they made! All the world wondered. Honor the charge they made, Honor the Light Brigade, Noble six hundred.

    width height depth
    12"
    30.5 cms
    18 18"
    45.9 cms
  • Stock: 10664

    10664. A stoneware figure of a Crowned Sentinel Lion in the Baroque manner, seated holding a shield bearing the Royal Coat of Arms to his chest, on a cylindrical base.English,19th Century.

    Link to: Antique sculptures, carvings, plaques, tablets, coats of arms and panels

    width height depth
    15"
    38 cms
    41 14"
    105 cms
    18 12"
    47 cms
  • Stock: 10788

    10788. One New Change Keystones.
    LEAPING SALMON
    A pair of Leaping Salmon. Sculptor Donald Gilbert 1957.

    Provenance; Originally above the pedestrian exits, leading to Watling Street, on the north side of South Court & flanking the guardian sculptures of a Lion & Unicorn and St George as a Centurion, part of the One New Change building in the City of London.

    The building erected in the 1950's to accommodate the Bank of England's Accounts Department & demolished in 2007, occupied the whole site bounded by Cheapside to the north, Watling Street to the south, Bread Street to the east, Newgate to the north west and New Change to the west and filled a sensitive site in that it presented a backdrop to Christopher Wrens majestic Roman Baroque St Paul’s Cathedral.

    Salmon appear frequently in early Celtic mythology as a symbol of Strength & Beauty, Wisdom, Knowledge & Eternity, with the mysterious ability to return to their birthplace from the outermost ocean where they recommence the life cycle.

    width height depth
    16 1116"
    42.5 cms
    31 78"
    81 cms
    34 14"
    87 cms
  • Stock: 10779

    10779. THE LION HOLDING & PROTECTING THE KEY.
    Sculptor Alan Collins. Circa 1958-59.

    A large keystone originally above the main entrance beneath The Fortress of Gold (SNo 10733) on the Newgate Front of the Bank of England Annexe in the City of London .

    The building erected in the 1950s to accommodate the Bank of England's Accounts Department & demolished in 2007, occupied the whole site bounded by Cheapside to the north, Watling Street to the south, Bread Street to the east, Newgate to the north west and New Change to the west and filled a sensitive site in that it presented a backdrop to Christopher Wren's majestic Baroque St Paul’s Cathedral.

    Link to: Antique sculptures, carvings, plaques, tablets, coats of arms and panels

    width height depth
    20 14"
    51.5 cms
    29 12"
    75 cms
    14 58"
    37 cms
  • Stock: 10774

    10774. One of three keystones .
    THE FLEET
    Sculptor Sir Charles Wheeler. Circa 1957.

    Provenance: Originally one of three keystones, representing historical London rivers, The Thames, The Fleet & The Walbrook, & part of a larger group including two statues of St George. This keystone was above the main entrance left hand bronze door of the One New Change building, part the Bank of England Annexe in the City of London

    The building erected in the 1950s to accommodate the Bank of England's Accounts Department & demolished in 2007, occupied the whole site bounded by Cheapside to the north, Watling Street to the south, Bread Street to the east, Newgate to the north west and New Change to the west and filled a sensitive site in that it presented a backdrop to Christopher Wren's majestic Baroque St Paul’s Cathedral.

    The Fleet is one of Londons lost rivers and was once the next largest to the Thames. It flowed south from Hampstead Heath and entered the Thames near Blackfriars Bridge. What is left of the once grand Fleet now flows in pipes buried deep under the streets of the city. Fleet Street..".The street of shame " , so called because of its many hostelries, is named after it.

    Link to: Antique sculptures, carvings, plaques, tablets, coats of arms and panels

    width height depth
    18 1116"
    47.5 cms
    35"
    89 cms
    19 1116"
    50 cms
  • Stock: 10773

    10773. One New Change Keystones.
    THE WALBROOK
    Sculptor Sir Charles Wheeler. Circa 1957.

    Provenance: Originally one of three keystones, representing historical London rivers, The Thames, The Fleet & The Walbrook, & part of a larger group including two statues of St George. This keystone was above the right hand bronze door of the main entrance of One New Change, part the Bank of England Annexe in the City of London.

    The building erected in the 1950's to accommodate the Bank of England's Accounts Department & demolished in 2007, occupied the whole site bounded by Cheapside to the north, Watling Street to the south, Bread Street to the east, Newgate to the north west and New Change to the west and filled a sensitive site in that it presented a backdrop to Christopher Wrens majestic Roman Baroque St Paul’s Cathedral.

    The Walbrook is one of Londons lost rivers flowing from Finsbery to the Thames near Cannon Street it started to disappear before the Romans left in 410AD. They built the Mithras Temple on its bank & it was one of their most important navigable waterways.

    width height depth
    18 1116"
    47.5 cms
    35"
    89 cms
    20 18"
    51 cms
  • Stock: 10772

    10772. One of three keystones
    OLD FATHER THAMES... a prime River God of the English...
    Sculptor Sir Charles Wheeler.

    Provenance: Originally one of three keystones, representing historical London rivers, The Thames, The Fleet & The Walbrook, & part of a larger group including two statues of St George. This keystone was above the central bronze door of the main entrance of One New Change, part of the Bank of England Annexe in the City of London.

    The building erected in the 1950s to accommodate the Bank of England's Accounts Department & demolished in 2007, occupied the whole site bounded by Cheapside to the north, Watling Street to the south, Bread Street to the east, Newgate to the north west and New Change to the west and filled a sensitive site in that it presented a backdrop to Christopher Wren's majestic Roman Baroque St Paul’s Cathedral.

    ' Old Father Thames keeps rolling along, down to the mighty sea'...( Raymond Wallace )..The source of this great river is reputed to be in a field in Gloucestershire from where it begins a 215 mile journey eastwards passing through Oxford, called here by its Latin name of Isis; past Windsor Castle and Hampton Court; through London past the Houses of Parliament and The Tower and on down to Gravesend & the sea. Its strategic position has seen it at the centre of many historical events; it has supported human activity from its source to its mouth for thousands of years; provided water power, food and drink; has been a venue for spectacular entertaiments & acted as a major highway for international trade through the Port of London. Perhaps John Burns, MP for Battersea 1929, best described it as “Liquid History”.

    Link to: Antique sculptures, carvings, plaques, tablets, coats of arms and panels

    width height depth
    18 78"
    48 cms
    35"
    89 cms
    20 78"
    53 cms
  • Stock: 10768

    THE WINGED CADUCEUS, THE EMBLEM OF MERCURY THE ROMAN SWIFT MESSENGER GOD OF TRADE, PROFIT AND COMMERCE.
    Sculptor: David Evans circa 1957.

    Provenance: Originally one of three keystones above the entrance on Watling Street of the old New Change building in the City of London.

    The building erected in the 1950's to accommodate the Bank of England's Accounts Department & demolished in 2007, occupied the whole site bounded by Cheapside to the north, Watling Street to the south, Bread Street to the east, Newgate to the north west and New Change to the west and filled a sensitive site in that it presented a backdrop to Christopher Wrens majestic Roman Baroque St Paul’s Cathedral.

    Link to: Antique sculptures, carvings, plaques, tablets, coats of arms and panels

    width height depth
    18 1116"
    47.5 cms
    35"
    89 cms
    19 78"
    50.5 cms
  • Stock: 10767

    10767. One New Change Keystones.
    NEPTUNE, ROMAN GOD OF THE SEA
    Bathed in East London sunlight...at the prow of a ship.
    Sculptor David Evans circa 1957.

    Provenance: Originally one of three keystones above the entrance on Watling Street of the old New Change building in the City of London.

    The building erected in the 1950's to accommodate the Bank of England's Accounts Department & demolished in 2007, occupied the whole site bounded by Cheapside to the north, Watling Street to the south, Bread Street to the east, Newgate to the north west and New Change to the west and filled a sensitive site in that it presented a backdrop to Christopher Wrens majestic Roman Baroque St Paul’s Cathedral.

    width height depth
    18 1116"
    47.5 cms
    35"
    89 cms
    18 78"
    48 cms
  • Stock: 10753

    10753. One New Change Statues
    UNICORN AND SHIELD WITH A RELIEF OF A WREN.
    One of a pair with Crowned Lion SNo 10752.
    Sculptor: Donald Gilbert 1958 -59.

    Provenance: Originally one of two statues, with 10752, above the exit to Watling Street in the South Courtyard, and flanking St George as a Roman Centurion of the One New Change building in the City of London.

    The building erected in the 1950's to accommodate the Bank of England's Accounts Department & demolished in 2007, occupied the whole site bounded by Cheapside to the north, Watling Street to the south, Bread Street to the east, Newgate to the north west and New Change to the west and filled a sensitive site in that it presented a backdrop to Christopher Wrens majestic Roman Baroque St Paul’s Cathedral.

    width height depth
    17 18"
    43.5 cms
    45 78"
    116.5 cms
    27 316"
    69 cms
83 items
starstarstarstarstar_half
10 Reviews on google

Tel: +44 (0)207 739 8094 | Fax: +44 (0)207 729 3620 | Email: westland@westlandlondon.com 

Copyright © Westland London 1969 - 2018. Images and text all rights reserved.